At some point in your life, have you or your children presented Onion Trick For Cough, either dry or with phlegm that is hard to calm? It is quite exasperating to feel that you can not rest due to the intense cough that can occur at any time of the day or night.
The cough represents a response of the body to keep the lungs and airways clean, therefore, it is a physiological defense mechanism against foreign substances or mucus in order to eliminate it and leave the air free.
The trick of the onion has become the best natural treatment to treat cough, which has driven it to be the remedy of choice in the face of this annoying symptom. In this article we will clarify all the doubts in relation to the trick of the onion for the cough: it works? We explain it to you!
What is cough and why is it produced
Cough is a physiological defense mechanism for all human beings that allows keeping the respiratory tract clean of foreign substances or mucus in order to achieve the passage of free air from the nose to the lungs.
There are 2 different types of cough that can affect both the adult and the child:
Dry cough: it is an irritant or unproductive cough, that is to say, there is no exit of mucous secretion of the respiratory tract, therefore, it is irritating, generally this type of cough creates a vicious circle where the irritating process of the ways increases every time respiratory
The productive cough: it is a cough that generates mucous secretion output accompanied by nasal congestion and difficulty breathing.
The cough is dry or with mucus can present you for different causes such as:
- Previous irritation of the respiratory tract influenza, colds.
- Inflammation of the respiratory tract by air conditioning or heating.
- Allergic processes to the smoke of cigarettes, domestic dust, pollen or any foreign agent.
Does onion work for cough?
If it is interesting for you to know if the onion is effective when treating the cough, as indeed it is, the onion is considered an effective natural remedy to calm the uncomfortable and sometimes painful cough, since it has expectorant and anti-inflammatory properties .
In addition, another of its benefits is that it can be used both in children and adults, being effective in both cases. The best way to use it to be effective is at night, before sleep, to prevent the annoying cough during sleep.
Ideally, cut the onion into 4 pieces and place it in a bowl near the bed, on a table, for example. It is also recommended to keep the room closed so that the steam concentrates much better. In about 20 minutes the cough will have subsided and allow you to fall asleep.
Natural remedies for cough with onions:
There are also infinities of ways to use the onion that are also effective in treating the annoying cough:
- Chop the onion into pieces and add 1 or 2 tablespoons of sugar and a few drops of water, this decreases a little the smell and humidifies the room causing the aroma to flow.
- Another useful remedy is prepared with onion and honey, peel and cut the onion into small pieces and place in an airtight bag, add 7 tablespoons of honey, this mixture is left to rest for at least 2 hours after this has elapsed Time is recommended to liquefy and place it in a glass container. To be useful this remedy should drink 2 tablespoons every 6 hours according to the patient’s response.
- A warm drink of onion with garlic has an expectorant effect that allows to expel phlegm and relieve cough much faster, it is prepared by boiling 2 cups of water once it has boiled it is removed and it is added garlic and chopped onion, this is left to rest during at least 20 minutes before casting. For optimal benefits it is advisable to drink 1 cup in the morning and 1 cup before sleeping.
The onion juice with lemon is also beneficial when treating cough, the ½ onion extract and the ½ lemon juice taken 2 tablespoons every 3 hours will be enough to calm this annoying symptom
There are many ways in which the onion can be used to calm the cough, although it is a natural remedy it is a very effective medicine. In the following article you will discover more remedies with onion for cough. On the other hand it is important that in case the cough does not improve go to the doctor who will be the one to treat any health condition in a precise and specialized way.
This article is purely informative, we do not have the faculty to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to go to a doctor in case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.